Monday, January 23, 2012

Baby Got Bible...

I wanted to finish what I started a couple of blogs ago when I mentioned resolutions. Most of my resolutions that I have made in the past have gone bad. One year I made a resolution to never eat again...fail...another, I was going to work out everyday until I felt like I was going to die...fail but this year... I have high hopes! I have a couple of resolutions this year...one being to grow deeper in the wisdom and knowledge of Jesus Christ and another is to become financially wise. Watch out world I am about to become the smartest person you know...I'm going to be brilliant...and have a lifetime if knowledge!

So as I started out into the beginning of January I was pumped to gain Jesus knowledge. I knew that the main step to gaining this knowledge was to read my bible... A LOT! My knowledge bubble was busted when I woke up one day and couldn't find my Bible ANYWHERE!!! I searched and searched and searched! As I looked at all of my book shelves I noticed that I have at least 5 Bibles... but no bible would do...besides my Bible! Now I want you to imagine your most AMAZING pair of jeans... you probably have 30 some pairs of jeans in your closet but you choose to where the ones that you love the most...they are probably wearing thin and may even have a couple of rips in them...but yet you continue to wear them... This is how my Bible is. Here is the best description of my Bible. My older sister Kim got me this bible in 2000 for my birthday I was 15 years old...so this bible is WORN out...My name is engraved on it in gold Kendra Leigh Cable and is brown leather, the cover is ripping, the leather is pealing off, pages are folded and written on, scriptures are highlighted and underlined and recently I had to tape some pages in because they were falling out. So no...not ANY Bible would do. I have been worried because I thought maybe I had left my Bible in Florida...looks like I would be making a trip back to go get it...=)...but really I thought that it was there...hanging out in my bedroom that I had for the week...I texted my mom this morning asking her for the number of the owners so that my Bible could be found and in my hands again. I decided that before I called them I would look one last place...it was a place that I had looked before...my car...but earlier I had failed to look in a bag that was in my car. I opened that bag slowly and my Bible sang to me..."Hello Bible... you are found... COME TO MOMMA!!!!" (I may or may not have really said those words.) I am not going to lie...a tear developed in my eye...
This whole tragedy of me losing my Bible got me thinking...if I was so upset about losing my Bible... I couldn't imagine how upset I would be if I truly lost my relationship with Jesus Christ. I started to question...why was I so upset about losing my Bible...if the most important thing is my relationship with Him and not how much I know?...now I know that living and reading the word go hand in hand with the relationship...but I think for one of the first times ever I started to really connect the two. How do we find out about Jesus Christ and His love?...Sure we can go to Him in prayer but what we need to know about Him and his life is in the Bible. In order to really build a relationship with someone you have to get to know them...by them telling you about their self.

It take me to this...how do we know that the Bible is true? Can the Bible be infallible if it is written but fallible humans? l Recently this question was raised to me by a good friend of mine. In my research I found this:

There is no logical reason why this could not be true. After all, even fallible humans can get things right some of the time, especially if they are supervised by Someone who is infallible.

Christians do not claim that the humans who penned the books of the Bible were always accurate in everything they said or did. We simply believe that the Bible is right when it claims that God guided these men in their task of writing scripture, in such a way that the result is an infallible book. The apostle Peter undoubtedly said some foolish things during his lifetime, but God did not allow him to clutter up the Bible with any of those blunders.

2 Timothy 3:16 Contains the classic claim that the Bible was produced by God, not just men:

All scripture is inspired by God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

One standard explanation of the concept of “inspiration” is given by Ryrie:

God's superintendence of the human authors so that, using their own individual personalities, they composed and recorded without error His revelation to man in the words of the original autographs [Charles Ryrie, A Survey of Bible Doctrine (Chicago: Moody Press, 1972), p. 38].

We do not know exactly how God accomplished His purpose of providing a totally accurate Bible. But 2 Peter 1:21 gives some insight:

No prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

The word “moved” in this verse is also used in Acts 27:15 to describe the way a great storm blew the apostle Paul's ship off course across the Mediterranean. The people on board could spend the time as they chose (either bailing or wailing!), but the storm determined their destination of Malta. Similarly, God guided the writers of scripture to produce exactly the message He wanted.

Thought this was interesting...please add your thoughts.

Me...

No comments: